Monday, April 27, 2015

LED Birthday Card

You don't see this kind of card everyday. How about a light-up LED Birthday Card?

For my father-in-law's birthday, he gets rather excited about technical things and anything math related. His favorite video game is Tetris and he likes interactive media. So, when I saw this awesome LED craft kit from Chibitronics, I knew I'd be using that in the near future.

The kit includes a spiral workbook, special copper tape, 2 flat coin batteries, 2 binder clips, 12 white LED stickers, and 6 each of red, yellow and blue LED stickers. Plus, some z-adhesive and conductive plastic. Just about everything you can find at a hardware store, except the special LED light stickers that brings crafting to a new level.

This particular card uses the parallel circuit, on/off switch and the hidden message technique that are all explained in the workbook. On the website there is a template for the battery holder pocket that helps keep the battery in place so it doesn't fall out. Hubby didn't use cardstock to make the battery holder, and I still had to use a paperclip to hold the circuit to the battery. But, I don't think anyone noticed that the entire circuit wasn't hidden.

Stamps used are from Jaded Blossom: Nerd and Close to My Heart sets that are all probably retired by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment