Sunday, June 16, 2019

Silk Flower Unicorn Wreath


My sis-in-law gave me this great FloraCraft styrofoam unicorn horn that she picked up at a trade show recently. Suggested projects were a bunch of unicorn horn headbands for kids and pets. I've seen plenty of those and didn't want to make another existing project. Then I thought, what if I attach it to an actual horse head? I scoured the Internet for a wire horse head form and found this stylized one that I liked.



I spent a good chunk of time taking off the pipe cleaner tinsel and the metal bands holding it on to get it down to just the wire form. Sore hands and blisters are optional.


The rest of the supplies include:

FloraCraft Styrofoam Blocks and the unicorn horn (available at Hobby Lobby in July)


A big mess of silk flowers and picks that you like for your project.

Crafting wire to attach the blocks to your frame.
16 gauge floral stem wire for your unicorn horn
Peacock Feather picks for the eyelashes
Martha Stewart Pearl Craft Paint (I used the Gold Mother of Pearl Color)
Wire Cutters
hot glue gun
Ribbon to hang it up.

I used a long serrated knife to trim down my styrofoam block to fit in between the wires on my form to have a place to attach my flowers and stems. Then, I wrapped the craft wire around them and the frame to keep them in place.


I took apart about 4 large picks of white hydrangeas to start hot gluing them all over the front and the sides of the styrofoam and the the frame, leaving the side of the mane open for later. Watch out for hot glue burns!



You want to make sure that you can't see the styrofoam or the frame through the flowers. Choose a small flower as the nostril if you prefer. Next get the picks you chose for your mane and start stabbing them in the foam down the side. These long picks of colored foam balls are perfect as a mane. I pushed the parts of the pick closer together up the stem to make a fuller bunch and layered them in a rainbow color. Hot glue them to the foam so they stay where you want them.


I added a row of big roses to cover the back of the mane, or if you have enough mane picks add more to the side.

I pushed the horn on the floral stem wire and added a few coats of pearl paint and a final top coat of the Mod Podge Extreme Glitter. It's glittery and pearlized.


Trim the wire down and insert the horn in its proper place with more hot glue. Add some more flowers around the base to cover seams and give your unicorn a flower crown. Cut a piece of peacock feather off the tip and sparingly hot glue it in the correct spot as the eyelashes. On mine, you're actually looking at the back of the feather, which is black.

Thread some ribbon through the wires on the back and hang it up on your door wreath hook.


She looks so pretty!


#FloraCraft #ModPodge #Plaidcrafts #PaperPoniesCrafts

No comments:

Post a Comment